Finished another little tube toy. This time, a battery powered preamplifier (also from Bottlehead). I screwed up the alder wood base I ordered from them, so I built a new one from scratch in hard maple. It turned out nicely, and I think the maple goes with the blue plastic top plate.
It was pretty microphonic when I first powered it up (loud noises when tapping on the top plate), but it has settled down now. It was a cheap kit, and mostly I just wanted it so that I could switch in between the airport express (white block to the rear of the photo) that supplies the music in my office and the computer.
I like making things. It’s such a radical change from all the reading-writing stuff down that I’ve been doing for the last decade or so.